Wednesday, November 10

My Coupon Binder

One of the things that keeps many people from couponing is the clipping and sorting and organizing.  I admit that without the right system in place it can become very overwhelming and take up more time than the savings is worth!  I have found a way that works for me and takes minimal time!  So, you might ask...How do you organize your coupons? 

There are many ways to store coupons and I believe I have tried them all!  After trying several different storage options, I decided to make a coupon binder.  You can purchase a ready-made binder for about $50. This was not in our budget so I decided to make one. 

Here's how:

I found a Mead Five Star Binder at Rite Aid for about $5 after coupons and rebate.  There are many different binder options available.  You can pick out just a basic binder or go all out and get one with all the bells and whistles, whatever tickles your fancy or in my case, whatever is on sale!  The size you will need depends on how many coupons you have.  I bought a larger binder because I use over 100 binder  pages, if you do not require as much storage you could get away with buying a 1 or 1.5 inch binder. 

Next, I purchased various clear, plastic binder pages for the coupons.  There are many different page-layouts available and the best price I have found is on eBay.  I use the following binder pocket protector pages: 9-pocket baseball card,  3- and 4-pocket currency pages, and 4-pocket postcard pages. 

I then purchased some Post It reusable tabs to divide the different categories.  I bought the reusable so I can change the tabs as needed. 

This is what it looks like after all the coupons have been filed:



The initial setup was pretty time-consuming and I wondered if it was even worth the time, but I stuck with it because so many others have shared their success with coupon binders.   I have been using the binder for a few months now and it makes couponing a breeze!  I can see clearly what I have in each catergory without having to flip through every coupon!   The coupon binder is also very portable and I can take it into the store with me.   

For me, this is the system that works best.  For others, it may be something else!  How do you organize your coupons?

5 comments:

kermooch said...

I have loved my binder. I didn't know about the currency pages. Those would be great for the larger coupons. Thanks for sharing!

Heidi said...

There are so many different sizes of binder pages, just take a look at what is out there and you can really customize the binder for your needs!

Rebekah said...

Oooh, I'll have to check eBay for more page protector options. I just started my coupon binder and it's slow going getting ALL my coupons organized, but it's already helping me save time. Mine are organized in a loose alphabetical order (I might put Hunt's before Heinz, but they're both under H).

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

www.honeyandcheese.com

Heidi said...

Once you get it completely set up, you will be amazed at how much time it saves.
I have found that organizing them based on grocery store departments works best for me. I will work on typing up the catagories I use and post them here.

Hodgepodgemom said...

Now THAT is one handy, dandy notebook! Thanks for all you do to encourage and get us going, keep us going :)